Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Day 5

Illness is running its course, still sick, though, I guess I am feeling a little better, but I did buy orange juice on the way home from a meet and great with the possible new tech director.

Found out the old assistant tech director is gonna be the new prop master, so that will be good, I like him and he is smart. And mellow. so thats good.

I should really be getting my yarn tomorrow or Friday at the latest, Friday will be day 7 of the cold, so, the yarn cure wont work, and even if it comes tomorrow, the results would be inconclusive. I will have to save it for another cold... or sleep day and night in my new sweater next time I get sick.

The only other thing that happened today was Pat and I watched Into the Wild.

Now, I have hippy tendencies, I don't believe patchouli should replace soap, but I have thought about living off the land somewhere... but, having lived a little in pseudo country, and raising both chickens and rabbits for food, and tending a vegetable or two in a garden plot, I know it takes planning, you need to know some stuff. And its work.

This poor kid, I don't know what was going through his head, but he certainly thought if you got out into nature, it would all work out in some kind of harmony, he did have a book on edible plants but what he needed was a survivors guide... And his goal was, what to get away from society? To change society? He should have joined the peace corps or a commune. I don't get it. Plus I thought the narration was a little pretentious, now, it is possible that I think pretension is an early twenties malady only cured by time, but...

maybe I just don't get it, the point of this movie, is this boy supposed to be a hero, a tragic victim to the cruel misunderstanding of his parents, I mean he died - from eating something that looked like something edible, but was really its inedible cousin. But before that his entire Alaskan Wilderness experience was mistake after mistake.

I don't know it seemed like the movie was trying to glorify selfish stupidity, perhaps it was meant as a cautionary tale, but it seemed like a eulogy for bad ideas.

No comments: