Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The University Bookstore Reading of Dennis's newest book.





Today I went to see my friend read from his book, One Gay American, I think he is so brave, to write not one but two memoirs, and working on a third! His first was so painful to read, so good, but of a painful addiction to something very unusual, that came out of a childhood coping mechanism, that came to nearly ruin his life. I'm only a third of the way through his second book, and it seems less intense, in a good way.

It's about his longing to be a bride, to be beautiful and special, he didn't want to be a girl, but he wanted to be swept away, and to be accepted as he was, and not feel that he wasn't good enough because his father didn't want a sissy boy.

I can't say what conclusions he makes, but it's interesting to see how a fantasy can grow, as he struggles to feel loved.

No comments: