Monday, September 14, 2009

Its almost time to start the christmas knitting.

And I have a few ideas... I am not sure how many presents I may knit, I know I want to knit socks for my dad, and uncle john, and I think mittens for Jana and Daniel.

I am not sure about anyone else...more leg warmers...?

the creative part of the socks will be in the dyeing process, I think. I have this sock yarn that was knit flat undyed, and you can dye a picture in it and then knit it, and it is sort of supposed to come out, its probably not made for detail work, but I could possibly make something fun.


And why mittens for Jana and Daniel... well, I want to send them a present, and I want to make pictures in fair isle mittens that are cool. They work out because they are cool, and live in Finland. This really started because Jana sent me this awesome plate and cup with traditional Finnish decorations on them, which are very cool, Yelena looked at them and pronounced them Russian, which leads me to a book I know that exists
This ethnic offering gives knitters an introduction to the wonderful knitting of Estonia. There are 26 patterns for colorful mittens, gloves, and socks to knit, along with some exciting new knitting techniques. Included is information on the history and traditions of this fascinating Baltic country

Estonia... that's all up in Finland's neighborhood.

For a moment I was all fired up to buy the book, but I got a good look at the patterns on Ravelry, and I think I am going to wing it with my Knitters Handy Book of Patterns. I knew I would want to create my own colorwork pattern, to be individualized. So, I have looked up math equations for Daniels and I might make Grateful Dead mittens for the roommate. For Jana, she might read this, and I don't have any concrete ideas yet.

No comments: