Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Anna Karenina

on a completely different note, and as an interruption to the Aquarium pictures.

Yesterday was my mom's birthday.

I sent her a present - pretty handmade earrings from my favorite store (Library Friends Store) and a cool bookmark, because I would hope she is still reading.

And I called her, twice because I just left a message on mothers day, and I thought actually talking to her might be nice, after the second call she called me back.

Here is what I got out of the conversation - the earrings were too orange, and she had lots of earrings so - she doubted she would ever wear them - and she would never try to visit since I never invited her to see my apartment when they came up to visit 6 years ago. I will admit I felt strange not inviting her in at the time, but the roommate was scared of meeting her, and the place is a dump, and who needs to be judged. What I was thinking on the phone was no one invites a vampire into their house.

Terrible - I know.

On an only vaguely connected way - I read my fourth memoir in about a year House of Happy Endings by Leslie Garis granddaughter of the author of Uncle Wiggily. (I found this by looking for Uncle Wiggily stories on the internet).

And this leads me to a quote- Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. Anna Karenina

No comments: