Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Domestic partner laws

I always shake my head at the whole homosexual marriage thing.

I think its a little silly, and I think why does it matter... they say for religious reasons, then my church and state dander gets up... and I wonder when the burnings will start.

But it also makes me think of common law marriages, I don't believe Washington is a common law state... let me google that real quick. No.

Now I know more about common law marriage too.

anyway... my roommate and I have lived in this same apartment for almost 9 years, never have I put down that I was his spouse, never have I used his last name on any document, yet I get mail fairly frequently for Laura G.... Feminism dander just said he never gets anything for pat S........ anyway.

My point here is two men or two women can live together for years and I have more rights to sue my roommate for support than they would have, they probably wouldn't even get mail in each others name.

Its not even the negative aspects of marriage that get me, almost no one is scandalized in anyway by me living with a male roommate. My mother doesn't know, not because she would be scandalized, but because she would never believe it wasn't sexual. I could lie and say one or the other of us was homosexual, I think its better to simply fail to mention Pat is a guy. But I digress... where was I.

Maybe its because I know a few gay people, but I don't think the fabric of society will shred if we let them do what they have been doing.. ie... shacking up, with a piece of paper... I don't think gay marriage encourages people to become gay... you are or you aren't unless you are bisexual in which case everyone give you a hard time for indecision.

It's like abortion in a way, long before it was legal it has been happening, and if it became illegal again, it would continue to happen, it would be expensive and unregulated, and less safe than carrying a baby to term in this modern day and age. Would there be less abortion, hard to say, if its unregulated, how would you know what the numbers are.

Homosexuality would still happen, and they would live together. This just makes it so the person closest to them can be a part of their decisions. It makes them truly financially responsible for one another.

It's almost like interracial couples being allowed to get married, it deeply offends a great many people, but the majority no longer feel that it is wrong, or even exceptional.

No comments: