Sunday, November 25, 2012

Laziness

I'm trying very hard to motivate.
All I've done so far is make a turkey soup.
I tried to make it all savory with no sweet elements, so no carrots. It's a bit of an experiment, but I think it will be delicious. It's pretty simple, just turkey stock, and the boiled turkey that came with it, onions, celery cabbage and some left over squash... Which might qualify as a sweet element. Oh, here is also some veggie bullion, and turkey bullion, and black rice.

Pat has declared he won't try it because it has surpasses its turkey soup window. Which is the Saturday after thanksgiving. Friday is too soon, Sunday is too late.
I don't think it will kill me.

I worked yesterday, at the Key Arena, loading in and loading out Transiberian Orchestra. Again I was struck by how much some of the road guys can be huge dicks. Next year I plan to have a party on load out night and drinking with the other snarky stage hand folk. Bonus, my friend Megan will be old enough to drink, so she will be invited.

In a not as rosy happy post, I am once again not super thrilled by my housing situation. We have Pat who is on disability, and he gets money once a month, in the middle of the month, which is inconvenient for me, but there it is. To pay his rent he had been floating a check, hoping it would be good, and the landlords really do take forever to cash the checks, so it's not an unreasonable gamble, but he was banking with chase, who would charge him $35, mostly because they are assholes. So this summer we made a deal, to help him be able to leave his bank, and get his disability checks on a government debit card, he would give me the money for the rent as soon as he got his money, this is either a perpetual loan, or I covered one months rent as a gift and he pays me in advance for the next month. Then, in September he was sick and his mom paid his rent, and I wondered, WTF happened to your money? Granted, he gets less than 800, and his rent is 525, but... Anyway. Then October comes, and he gets me the rent money a week after his money comes, and mocks me a little for being worried. And now it's one and half weeks after his check comes, and nothing yet. And I am worried. I have the whole rent, but I might not for January, and why the hell should I have to have the my roommate is irresponsible cushion anyway?
To make matters more irritating, I am coping with the great computer debacle 2012. And I need to get the vacuum serviced, and I have a dude living on my couch.

Since I'm venting, lets talk about the great computer debacle, about 6 weeks ago the motherboard on my computer gave up the ghost, and while there are things I prefer to do on the computer, I do have an iPad and an iPhone, so I'm not greatly inconvenienced by this, it's harder on the roommate, but the guy on my couch has a laptop, so there has been no huge rush, and while the whole time I was pretty sure I was going to have to cart the fucker to the computer repair place. I played around with it a little, because the BIOS page would come up, but not boot, so I frankly thought it just needed a boot disc. I knew that while the harddrive might be corrupted that was not the problem. Anyway. At one point without my permission guy on my couch, fired it up and concluded it was the hard drive, and told the roommate this. I know he didn't mean to imply that I didn't know what I was doing, but who fucks around with someone else's computer, without being asked, if they are not damned sure they are more qualified. Or if you do think you know more, don't you say, hey, can I take a look, I'm pretty handy with a computer. Anyway I had to yell and him and basically lose my shit! And I gotta ask, would a guy touch another guys computer, without asking on the assumption they know more?

Moving on, I took it to the computer place, they said it was the motherboard, yes I trust them, the computer was a package deal, so, very unlikely to be able to get another motherboard, to work with the case, etc. so, now I'm computer free. Which sucks. I can go quite a long while without a computer, but there are something's I can't do. And Pat uses my computer, so, while I can wait, there is a bit of urgency.

So, I ask around my stagehand folks, and a few people tell me about interconnections, which sells computers that have been used to test software once then donated, and they are pretty cheap, plus they teach a series of classes on how to build your own computer! A Godsend! And they have low income computers, if you can prove you are low income, or a student, they sell laptops for $200 and desktops for $150, and Pat is definitely low income. I hatch a plan. I will buy a computer through Pat, and we will use this computer until I can take the classes and make myself an awesome computer of dome! And then Pat can keep the computer we bought through him. Everyone wins!

But sadly, they don't offer classes anymore. I found out when I went to see what they had, and what you need to prove low income status, I looked at the computers, and they are serviceable, and they have very few computers for non low income, but there was one gaming computer, and I sort of fell in love a little, and it was only $500 which cuts into the cushion a little, but it would just solve all the problems and look awesome. Oh, the places we will go! So I buy it. I take it home, by bus, in the rain. Foregoing the peripherals, since I have them, and I am taking it home, by bus in the rain. I get it home, and I need a adaptor for the monitor, since the computer input is DVI and the monitor is VGA. Funny, I had one before I took the old computer to the doctor. Crap! I run out to RadioShack, I hate RadioShack, a lot, I had to glare at them during the mandatory slow pedantic condescension, to find they don't have it. Er! I ask on FaceBook, one guy has it, he'll give it to me at thanksgiving (yes this means I'm almost done with this story) but its Monday, so, I go out to the computer place on Tuesday and buy one for $2, at RadioShack they were $16, go home plug everything in and, the monitor Is getting no signal. Sigh!

I try all 4 monitor outputs, nothing, I'm 75% sure it's my monitor, but still, so, now I have to figure out how to get myself and my computer back to where I bought it so I can try it with a different monitor and perhaps get the monitor they would have given me, or just return the computer. It's very very irritating. But the plan is tomorrow Cole is going to drive me around so I can take care of the computer, and the vacuum. And I'll buy her lunch.

But the whole computer debacle reminds me, of how much I am expected to take care of all this crap by myself, I could have asked one of my deadbeats to make one of these trips for me, and they might have done it, for a fee, or some other price, but they certainly would never volunteer.

It's frustrating, and it make me feel lonely in my own house.

Thanks for getting this far in my pity party. Sorry to vent.
At least it's not politics.

No comments: